The Test of Academic Proficiency (formally the Basic Skills Test) consists of reading comprehension, language arts (grammar and writing), mathematics, and a constructed-response writing assignment.
- Computer-based test (CBT)
- Reading Comprehension: 60 multiple-choice questions
- Language Arts: 60 multiple-choice question
- Writing: 1 constructed-response assignment
- All Four subtests in a single session: 5 hours
- One subtest in a single sessions: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- 240 per subtest
- All four subtests: $113.00
- One subtest: $68.00
- Fees must be paid with a credit card or a debit or check card that carries the VISA or MasterCard logo.
- Registration is valid for one year from date of issue.
- To take the test, you must first complete the registration and payment process at the ILTS program website: The registration link is at the bottom of the page.
- The closest Testing Center for the TAP exam is here in Carbondale at Testing Services on Campus. Here is the link to find the closest testing center. home.pearsonvue.com. If you type in the zip code 62901, Testing Services should be the first link.
- You can take your exam at Testing Services most weeks, Tuesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. If you need alternate times or days, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To pass the TAP, candidates must pass all of the reqired subtests.
- Candidates are not allowed to take the TAP more than 5 times. For this reason, candidates who need to re-take a subtest(s) should devote time and energy to remediating their area(s) of weakness. Candidates are responsible for keeping track of which subtests they have passed or failed. Candidates should only re-take the subtests they have failed.
- SIU provides some tutoring and remediation at the Center for Learning Support Services. More information about tutoring can be found here. tutoring.siu.edu/TAP-test-prep/