What is a CLEP exam?
- CLEP gives students the opportunity to demonstrate prior learning and to earn credit for that knowledge by earning qualifying scores on any of the 33 CLEP examinations. Testing Services at SIU offers all 33 CLEP tests (with the exception of the optional essays) in our proctored testing computer lab. Descriptions of all 33 exams are provided by CollegeBoard.
For SIU Students:
- Testing Services recommends that you speak with your advisor first before you sign up for any exam. Speaking with your advisor will ensure that you can receive the right credit for your exam. The credit hours SIU awards for each test can be found here: http://articulation.siu.edu/_common/documents/pdfs/CLEP.pdf
For Non-SIU Students:
- Testing Services is an open test center. That means that ANYONE can take a CLEP exam at testing services and have their scores sent to any other school. You should check with the school you plan to attend to make sure that your CLEP exam is accepted there. Each school has their own requirements for CLEP credit.
For Veterans and Military Personnel:
- Veterans are eligible to have all test fees reimbursed. Click here for more information.
- All active duty military personnel, with a military ID card, are eligible to have the $80 CLEP test fee waived at the time of your test. You are still responsible for the $33.00 Testing Services proctoring fee. Click here for more information.
To prepare for your test:
- Find out if your college accepts CLEP. Use the CLEP College Search Function provided by College Board and decide which one to take. Make sure you check with the individual college for requirements and rules. Not all Colleges accept the same credit or the same scores for credit. If you are an SIU student, you can find this information in the Undergraduate Catalog or speak with your advisor.
- Read a description of each exam to find out which one your would like to take. Descriptions can be found here.
- Study. Study guides can be found at this link. Testing Services does not provide study materials, but if you are an SIU student you can use the Library, LearningExpress Library for additional study guides.
- Come prepared to take your exam. You will need to bring in two forms of ID. One must be government-issued and unexpired (driver's license for example) and the other must contain your name and a photo or signature. You cannot take the exam without a photo ID.
|Exam Dates:||Exam dates can be found here.|
|Cost:||The current cost of the exam is $80.00 for the exam and a $33.00 Proctoring Fee.|
|Registration:||You will first need to Register at this link and pay for your exam with CLEP. You will then
need to go to our website to make your appointment on one of the days we offer CLEP exams.
This link will take you to SIU's registration Page.
|Disability Accommodations:||Please Call Testing Services to make arrangements.|
|Location On Campus:||All CLEP exams are taken at Morris Library, 7th floor, Room 781.|